Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Bread Anyone?

Sorry it's taken a while to get back to the vacation. Heath and I went to the Southern Baptist Convention. Then I had Heath's wonderful sister, Teri Lynne, and her family in, have been working on a new blog, and now we are in the middle of Vacation Bible School. But I have a few minutes this morning, since I am ignoring the laundry.
It was a great night of sleep on the second night. We already had our extra sleeping bags, I was ready for Anderson (he went back to his own bed), Paulee had been drugged (only benedryll people!), and we were so very tired from the day and night before. Of course we were up at the very crack of dawn. Little Heath was great at that. It was cold every morning. You can see that everyone wore coats, long pants, and if we'd have had gloves and ear muffs, I know of a couple of kids that would have worn them.
But the mornings were usually good. Heath figured out to just make all the boys go to the bathroom at the same time, whether they thought they needed to our not, and breakfast was never hard. I think this particular morning was cereal. The breakfast of champions! It still took us forever to get out of camp that morning, and on the road to that days activities.
We headed to El Rancho de los Golendrinas, better known to us as The Ranch of the Swallows. It is a living history museum, dedicated to the time period of the 1600s to 1700s along the El Camino Real. It was a really great place. I didn't know if the kids would enjoy it or not. But we were there during their Spring Festival, and it was a blast. The kids helped make bread in outdoor ornos, watched women spin yarn and weave blankets, made tortillas, washed clothes, saw a mill grinding corn into meal, and various other workings of a farm.
We stayed at this ranch the entire day. Lunch of course was an hour long ordeal, but was shaded and cool, so I was thankful. And since the kids stayed with the bread maker for so long, she gave us two loaves for our family to take. They were wonderful! Oh, and we did witness a run-away mule and cart. No one was injured or hurt, but it was kind of spooky. It had a long straightaway, and just took off. But there was a worker on horse that knew what to do, and had the mule and cart under control after it had a good run.
We stayed long enough to help close the place down. The kids just loved it. This was also one of the hotter days while we were in New Mexico, so we decided to take the kids swimming when we got back to camp so they could cool off and get rid of the outer layer of sand. Well, cool off they did. I think the pool temp had to have been forty degrees. It was SO cold. I just sat on the side and put my feet in and they turned purple! Terry wouldn't get in, but that was more because he's afraid of water, the cold temps just helped his cause. The four older ones just had to swim. They were chattering, purple, and cold. Heath-er once again went to far into the pool, and got in over his head. I think I may ban him from pools all together. If you don't remember my earlier post about him and pools check it out. Terry was sitting right next to me on the steps and somehow ended up face first in the pool too. Needless to say, he refused to go near any pool again. Won't even put his swim suit on. So out of the pool for everyone. We trekked back up to camp, while we re-coated ourselves with sand, and got ready for bed.
The adults had a brief conversation as to whether or not we should head home after New Mexico, or still go to the Grand Canyon. I only mention this, because it will be important in a couple of days. Trust me! Until tomorrow!